[Rd] particulars of importing/loading libraries

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Tue Jan 13 17:30:34 CET 2009

Hi Oleg --

"Sklyar, Oleg (London)" <osklyar at maninvestments.com> writes:

> Dear List:
>
> Sorry for posting maybe a trivial question, but I have a basic
> understanding problem. If I have say pack1 and pack2, two R packages,
> and pack2 depends on and imports pack1 fully (as in the code below), is
> there a way to make all the functionality of pack1 available for the
> global and other environments (not only for the functions called from
> withing pack2) by loading pack2 only? I thought if pack2 depends on and
> imports pack1 and essentially reexports everything, one should get the
> full functionality simply by loading pack2. This does not seem to be the
> case or I am missing something trivial in my NAMESPACE/DESCRIPTION
> files?

I think that exportPattern does a simple ls() on the environment of
the package name space. The imported symbols are not defined in that
environment, but (I think) in a variable .__NAMESPACE__. and so are
not discovered.  Arguably, exportPattern (and friends) should be
smarter. Pragmatically, you need to re-export imported symbols
explicitly. I haven't worked this through entirely, and could be
wrong...

Martin