[Rd] Strange error message

Terry Therneau therneau at mayo.edu
Tue Jan 6 15:58:42 CET 2009

 I'm testing out some changes to survreg and got the following output, the
likes of which I've never seen before:

R version 2.7.1 (2008-06-23)
Copyright (C) 2008 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

> source('setup.s')
> source('mktest1.s')
> fit1w <- survreg(Surv(time, status) ~x, test1, dist='weibull')
Warning: stack imbalance in '.Call', 26 then 27
Warning: stack imbalance in '<-', 24 then 25
Warning: stack imbalance in '{', 22 then 23
Warning: stack imbalance in 'if', 20 then 21
Warning: stack imbalance in '.Call', 23 then 24
Warning: stack imbalance in '<-', 21 then 22
Warning: stack imbalance in '{', 18 then 20
Warning: stack imbalance in '<-', 12 then 14
Warning: stack imbalance in 'if', 10 then 12
Warning: stack imbalance in '{', 8 then 10
Warning: stack imbalance in '<-', 2 then 4
> traceback()
No traceback available

  The "setup" file simply attaches the directory containing my test version of
the survival code, and mktest1.s is
   test1 <- data.frame(time=  c(4, 3,1,1,2,2,3),
                    status=c(1,NA,1,0,1,1,0),
                    x=     c(0, 2,1,1,1,0,0))

the simple test data set from the appendix of my book, for which I know ALL the
answers.

  There has been a change to the C code.  Is this possibly due to a messed up
calling chain?  I've converted from "Chambers" style callback to Rinternals
style (much cleaner and less mysterious), and the result works well in Splus.
I thought I'd made it through the hard part....

  Hints appreciated, after which I can give more details.

	Terry Therneau