[Rd] [Fwd: Re: [R] Randomly remove condition-selected rows from a matrix]

Mark.Bravington at csiro.au Mark.Bravington at csiro.au
Fri Jan 2 21:55:52 CET 2009

This is a recurring problem and from previous correspondence it seems unlikely that "sample" itself will ever be changed (and having myself been on the wrong end of a number of non-back-compatible changes in R, that's fine with me!).

To forestall future confusion, my suggestion is to add a function "rsample" defined as below, which has first argument "n" (number of values to return) consistent with the other "r..." random-generating functions.

rsample <- function( n=length(pop), pop, replace=FALSE, prob=NULL)
  pop[ sample( seq_along( pop)-1, size=n, replace=replace, prob=prob)+1]

The default for n is not necessary, but handy in case one is just trying to reorder a "pop" argument that is defined on-the-fly (as in Wacek's example). The -1 & +1 in the body prevent 'sample' from getting confused.

Perhaps this should be patched up to cope with the case n==length(pop)==0 that Duncan mentions

rsample <- function( n=length(pop), pop, replace=FALSE, prob=NULL)
  if( n>0) pop[ sample( seq_along( pop)-1, size=n, replace=replace, prob=prob)+1] else if(n==0) pop[0] else stop( "invalid 'n' argument")

Mark Bravington