[Rd] [R] length 1 offset in glm (& lm)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Feb 25 15:40:17 CET 2009

Some digging showed that this has not worked for a long time and the
documentation is either legacy or wishful thinking.  So for R-patched
the right approach is to fix the documentation and I will do so
shortly.

As for model.frame() recycling: that sounds an appealing idea and I
don't think I would want to confine it to case of length one: exact
repeats recycling are allowed in a number of places.  And re Peter's
example, this could be done only when it is unambiguous, or only where
there is a response or ....  But that will have to wait for another
day (or another hand).