[Rd] [R] length 1 offset in glm (& lm)

Heather Turner Heather.Turner at warwick.ac.uk
Wed Feb 25 14:48:07 CET 2009

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Feb 2009, Kenneth Knoblauch wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Quoting Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk>:

>>> So let's be clear: this was the 'offset' argument' and not the offset()
>>> function as you refer to below.
>>
>> It occurs for both
>
> Yes (I knew). but no one (AFAICS) said the function allows length-1
> arguments: Heather is raising the possibility that it should as new
> functionality, I believe.

Not particularly, just observing that if the problem of handling a
length one offset passed to the offset argument is solved by model.frame
doing the necessary recycling, then offset() would also work with length
one arguments (I think) and this could be a useful feature. If the
problem is solved by dealing with the offset argument separately, then
you wouldn't get this side-benefit, so it's just something to bear in
mind when deciding on a fix.