[Rd] [R] length 1 offset in glm (& lm)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Feb 25 14:10:06 CET 2009

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009, Heather Turner wrote:

> This post about length 1 offsets on R help seems to have been ignored
> (sorry deleted original email - is there a way to continue thread in
> this case?)
>
> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2009-February/189352.html

So let's be clear: this was the 'offset' argument' and not the
offset() function as you refer to below.

> It does seem to be a bug, in that glm does not behave as documented. In
> fact the same bug applies to lm as well.

Not ignored, just not yet resolved so nothing really useful to say as
yet.  I suspect the documentation was once correct but the offset
argument had some rather undesirable prperties at the time.  And there
appears to be some legacy code to do the recycling.

So quite a bit of work is needed on the history to deal wth what is
rather a small point: sorting out some problems with failing packages
(rgdal and friends) has been a much higher priority (let alone the day
jobs).

> I don't think the suggested fix works though - Y isn't available until
> the model frame is evaluated. Moreover you would want to evaluate the
> offset as part of the model frame, to take care of the search path,
> subset and na.action.

That used not to be the case for the offset _argument_, so probably
where the docs came from.