[Rd] [R] Semantics of sequences in R

Wacek Kusnierczyk Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk at idi.ntnu.no
Mon Feb 23 08:52:05 CET 2009

g'orning,

Berwin A Turlach wrote:
> G'day Stavros,

<snip>

>> In many cases, the orthogonal design is pretty straightforward.  And
>> in the cases where the operation is currently an error (e.g.
>> sort(list(...))), I'd hope that wouldn't break existing code. [...]
>>

> This could actually be an example that would break a lot of existing
> code.
>
> sort is a generic function, and for sort(list(...)) to work, it would
> have to dispatch to a function called sort.list; and as Patrick Burns'
> "The R Inferno" points out, such a function exists already and it is not
> for sorting list.

and you mean that sort.list not being applicable to lists is a) good
design, and b) something that by noe means should be fixed, right?

> In fact, currently you get:
>
> R> cc <- list(a=runif(4), b=rnorm(6))
> R> sort(cc)
> Error in sort.list(cc) : 'x' must be atomic for 'sort.list'
> Have you called 'sort' on a list?

one of the most funny error messages you get in r.  note also that,
following rolf turner's lists and vectors unproven theorem, a vector can
be considered a list -- hence sort.list should raise the error on any
vector input, no?

> Thus, to make sort(list()) work, you would have to rename the existing
> sort.list and then change every call to that function to the new name.
> I guess this might break quite a few packages on CRAN.

scary!  it's much preferred to confuse new users.

vQ