[Rd] [R] How to unload a dll loaded via library.dynam()?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Feb 20 05:01:07 CET 2009

[Moved to R-devel as suggested.]

library.dynam.unload() does work if the OS is cooperative.  And if you
have your package set up correctly and unload the namespace (and not
just detach the package if there is a namespace) then the shared
object/DLL will be unloaded. There are examples in several base R
packages (grDevices, grid, methods, splines, stats, tools).

However, there are several instances on Windows (tcltk is one) where
reloading the package DLL does not work, and this seems to be because
dependent DLLs are already loaded and do not run their initializations
correctly.  I've not seen problems on Linux.  On Solaris reloading a
different shared object of the same name into a process used not to
work (you got the first version under that name): I've not checked
recently.

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009, Gábor Csárdi wrote:

> Hmmm, I think restarting R is not a very good solution. It is rather
> ugly in the first place. But perhaps even more importantly, it can be
> rather inconvenient if one has a large data set in the memory and
> needs to save/load it just to reload a package that was updated in the
> meanwhile.
>
> This happens to me quite often with 20-40Gb of data, so I would really
> love to have a solution for proper detach/unload.

Why not use the one already provided?