[Rd] Google Summer of Code 2009

Friedrich Leisch Friedrich.Leisch at stat.uni-muenchen.de
Fri Feb 20 04:08:02 CET 2009

  > |   > [ Cool how nobody cared about Fritz' request not to post ideas yet :) ]
  > |
  > | Well, I kind of expected that ;-)
  > |
  > | See also below.
  > |
  > |   > [ I broadly share Oleg's "wouldn't it be nice to have better plot devices"
  > |   >   wish.  But I don't think it is a three-month summer target,
  > |
  > | Yes, that's exactly what came to my mind first: As usual, please do
  > | read docs before you post ... in this case the format of SOC (I
  > | included the link in my original email, googling for "summer of code"
  > | will also take you there): a student is paid to code three months for
  > | us, the 3 months inlcude writing documentation. The student will not
  > | be an expert in R internals, and no magic wizard. The student should
  > | familiarize himself with the project before the actual coding period,
  > | but there is only so much you can do in limited time. I think you can
  > | expect a similar amount of code as in a master/diploma thesis (but
  > | NOT a dissertation).
  > |
  > | If you had waited for Manuels email you would also have learned about
  > | another VERY IMPORTANT POINT: The collection of ideas for summer of
  > | code is not like writing a list of wishes to Santa Claus (or the
  > | Christkind or whatever your local variation may be): we only need
  > | ideas which YOU ARE WILLING TO MENTOR, i.e., you write the specs for
  > | the project, communicate with students interested in the project,
  > | select the best applicant and supervise the student during the coding
  > | period. I am not sure everyone on this thread is aware about this (if
  > | all of you were I apologize). If you propose an idea, you
  > | simultaneously agree to volunteer a considerable amount of your own
  > | time. But that time can really be worth the effort (otherwise we
  > | wouldn't be doing it).

  > I am not sure if you're lecturing just to me or the audience at
  > large;

Of course to the audfiance at large, I know that you know the rules of
the game. That I answered your email, in the thread was more or less
chance. Sorry if I gave a wrong impression (wouldn't have possibly
thought that you could feel addressed personally).

My sincere apologies!!!

  > I would at this point also like to correct something you said in
  > the earlier mail where you said that may get "four to six
  > slots". I am doubtful about that. O verall number of GSoC slots
  > are _down_ as per Leslie. We have no priors on whether more or
  > less organisations are admitted or not. If I were a betting man,
  > I'd say three to four slots.

OK, didn't know that number of slots is down (should probably read the
docs better myself). I was assuming that the number of slots is approx
the same, and hoping for more slots in the second year (because I know
that all organizations get fewer in their first year).

Best,
Fritz