[Rd] interactive graphics for R: was Google Summer of Code 2009

Sklyar, Oleg (London) osklyar at maninvestments.com
Thu Feb 19 18:27:45 CET 2009

Dear Simon,

thanks for comments.

I better give a bit of a background first. We are analysing time series of financial data, often multivariate and with say 200K samples. It is quite a frequent situation that one needs to display multivariate time series of say 200K rows and 10 columns over the whole time range and be able to zoom in to look for effects of interest. The obvious choice of plots is a multiplot window with a shared x-axis, in this case time, zooming should be done simultaneously in all time series displayed.

I do understand this is a very specific example, but I am sure similar problems arise in other discilines: think of a genomic browser, sequencing or any other non-financial time series data etc.

Essentially, no matter what the graphying or rendering technology used beneath (GTK, QT or anything else), my requirements, and yes they are in a way subjective, but on the other hand quite generic, would be a possibliity to produce multiplot windows (similar to say setting mfrow in par) with two simple features: zooming and panning simultaneously on all plots or independently. The support for Axis/pretty method callbacks is required because those are the methods that provide correct axis labeling independently on the class of the data. This is essentially the only thing that is not supported by the gtkdatabox widget as the rulers can only display numbers.

On the other issues of interactivity, I agree it is quite a broad term, but the functionality I describe above is pretty much basic.

As for Java objections: this is not because Java is slow on its own, but the interface is not native, requires a huge JVM for a fairly simple task and the interface is relatively slow and cumbersome. As soon as I see a package demonstrating good performance via rJava, I will be happy to say I was wrong. But essentially the same problem with 'playwith' package mentioned earlier -- it uses RGtk, gWidgets and therefore it is slow -- it is not that GTK is slow, but the complex binding from R via RGtk to GTK. If used natively, it is very fast.

> As for iPlots, the development has shifted a while ago from
> the 'old'
> iPlots to the new ones which are in development stage (as I
> said they
> are announced for the useR! conference). My point was not about
> telling you to use a specific software, it was rather about
> making you
> aware of the fact that what you describe already exists (ggobi
> definitely is IG in GTK) and/or is worked on (iPlots 3.0) with
> possibly better approach.

Where can I find it to have a look? No matter that it is in development, if it fits the needs, I will only be happy to contribute what I can.

> > 3) I have a prototype using gtkdatabox for very fast interactive
> > plots in R using GTK, but it is limited by the capabilities of the
> > gtkdatabox widget, not that of R or GTK as such.
> >

> I don't know about your prototype, so I cannot really comment
> on that,
> but gtkdatabox is not IG, either.

I cannot send you an example of an R package using gtkdatabox from the office, but I will create a small demo pack at home and will send it to you separately as to indicate what I am looking into. Possibly it is not IG, but this is essentially what I described above, although quite primitive (but it was a one-day project for me, not 3-months).

> > I do think there is a need for an interactive graphics
> package for R.
> >

> I do completely agree with that, but interactive means it satisfies
> basic requirements on IG such as the availability of selection,
> highlighting, queries, interactive change of parameters etc. This is
> not about 2d/3d clouds at all - that we have for decades
> already. Also
> this is not about "hacks" to glue on interactivity to existing
> graphics systems with a chewing gum. We need a versatile (possible
> extensible) set of interactive statistical plots -- at least that's
> what our experience shows.

Agree completely.