[Rd] allocMatrix error

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 17 09:52:47 CET 2009

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009, Hamid Ashafi wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 00:17,  <ashrafi at ucdavis.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I was trying to read ~400 chips in an affybatch and I got the same message.
> Could you find a remedy for that. My server has 128 GB of RAM. However, R
> halted ever before it uses the memory.

We don't have anything like sufficient details (please do read the
posting guide).

If the issue is the size of matrices, you possibly (depending on the
compiler) could arrange to compile R (and any relevant system
libraries) to use 64-bit ints.  For C code in R there is typedef to
change, and you would need integer*8 in the Fortran.  We would be
interested to know the results if you do so, but the developers are
unlikely to do so for you.

In any case, since you mention 'affybatch' it looks like this might
be a design issue in that BioC package and the BioC lists might be the
appropriate place to discuss it.  It is not obvious to me why ~400
datasets need a single large R object rather than, say, a list of 400
smaller ones, if that is indeed the problem.  So, to return to my
first point:

> We don't have anything like sufficient details.

Please give us the full details of your system, the memory in use (see
?gc) and what you were trying to do.

> I have been able to load upto 250 CEL files but this time I wanted to test
> what would happen if I want to normalize 400 chips.

R can handle up to 16GB objects, which even for a 64-bit OS and 128GB
of RAM are pretty large objects and do not arise naturally from many
small files.