[Rd] p.adjust; n > length(p) (PR#13519)

Steven McKinney smckinney at bccrc.ca
Wed Feb 11 21:13:17 CET 2009

Hi Ludo,

Issues such as this are best posed as
questions to the list before filing a bug
report.  (False bug reports create extra
work for volunteer R-core members.)

What is your use case for setting
n larger than length(p) (the default)?

The documentation does say
"n number of comparisons, must be at least length(p); only set this
   (to non-default) when you know what you are doing!"

Because the default
n = length(p)
is not evaluated until n is first needed in
the function body ('lazy evaluation') n is
by default set to length(p) after NAs
are removed in about line 8 of the function
line "stopifnot(n >= length(p))" )

and I'm not finding any problems with the
function, even when supplying p-values with NAs.

The documentation also states
"Note that you can set n larger than length(p) which means the
unobserved p-values are assumed to be greater than all the observed p
for "bonferroni" and "holm" methods and equal to 1 for the other
methods."

so it is up to the user to properly interpret the function
output when using a non-default setting for n.  The ensuing warning
is just a warning, not an error, requiring proper interpretation
and understanding by the user that chooses to set n to a non-default
setting.