[Rd] New package test results available

Thomas Petzoldt Thomas.Petzoldt at TU-Dresden.de
Sat Feb 7 18:30:35 CET 2009

Prof Brian Ripley schrieb:
> We've added a column at
>
> http://cran.r-project.org/web/checks/check_summary.html
>
> of test results using the Sun Studio compiler: it is intended that these
> will be updated weekly.
>
> The Sun Studio compiler is that used on Solaris: these runs were on the
> Linux version.  All the other platforms are using gcc 4, so this
> provides an opportunity for checking for use of gcc-specific features
> and also standards conformance (the Sun compilers have a long-time
> reputation for close conformance to the language standards).
>
> There are known problems where packages use C++ or JNI interfaces (e.g.
> rgdal and EBImage) as the libraries and JVM were compiled under gcc's
> conventions (even though a Sun JVMi is used).  About half the packages
> using rJava segfault, which seems to a JNI issue.
>
> Some packages use gcc-specific compiler flags:
>
>   LogConcDEAD Matching amap geometry memisc taskPR
>
> but the vast majority of the errors reported are C++ errors.  One class
> that may not be immediately obvious is the use of C headers in C++: you
> are supposed to write e.g.
>
> #includd <cmath>
>
> NOT
>
> #include <math.h>
>
> Symptoms of this can be seen for packages
>
>   BayesTree EMCC MCMCfglmm MarkedPointProcess Matching Matrix
>   RQuantlib RandomFields Rcpp SoPhy compHclust dpmix igraph minet
>   mixer modeest monomvm multic pcaPP rgenoud robfilter segclust
>   simecol subselect

The reason can also be including <R.h> (as done in simecol) that
includes <math.h>

Do I understand it correctly that this means that including <R.h> is
wrong in C++?
I read "Writing R extensions" several times, but was not aware that this
was a mistake. If I replace <R.h> by <cmath> then it works on my
systems, but I want to be certain that there are no other side effects.

Thanks in advance for clarification!

Thomas Petzoldt

--
Thomas Petzoldt