[Rd] reading SPSS .sav files (PR#13509)

zac at zjbnewton.demon.co.uk zac at zjbnewton.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 7 17:05:05 CET 2009

Full_Name: Roger Newton
Version: 2.8.1
OS: windows 2000
Submission from: (NULL) (80.176.228.157)

I have an elderly version of SPSS (version 11) which I still use. R Version
2.6.1 would, and still will, read SPSS *.sav files produced by SPSS version 11.
R version 2.8.1 which I installed two days ago (05/02/09) reports an error and
shuts down when trying to read SPSS version 11 *.sav files using the read.spss
function in package foreign.

R version 2.8.1 will read *.sav files produced by SPSS version 13.

The problem applies to all the existing SPSS files I had before I downloaded R
2.8.1
and to several new SPSS 11 *.sav files I have produced since.