[Rd] Capturing all warnings (with messages)

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Thu Feb 5 02:57:31 CET 2009

In SV3 (or Splus prior to 5.0) one could redefine
the .Program expression, which
by default was close to print(eval(parse(stdin())) along
with some extras like printing warnings and errors in
certain ways and recording input in a .Audit file.   I
once wrote toy .Programs that used select() to
listen for data arriving on a socket and for commands
from stdin.  The data would be appended to a certain
dataset as it arrived and the user could ask to replot
it whenever he wanted.  You could use options("warning.expression")
and try() to present warnings and errors to the user in
whatever way you wanted.  I think it was used in old
versions of Splus on Windows to implement the connection
to the GUI.

Is this the sort of functionality you are looking for?

If you are writing a front-end for R the .Program is not
needed, as your front end can easily wrap boilerplate,
like eval.with.details, around whatever text the user types in.

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software Inc - Spotfire Division
wdunlap tibco.com