[Rd] Capturing all warnings (with messages)

Jeffrey Horner jeff.horner at vanderbilt.edu
Wed Feb 4 17:52:58 CET 2009

Jon Clayden wrote on 02/04/2009 06:59 AM:
> Dear all,
>
> For an open-source project that I'm working on (1), which uses R for all
> its heavy lifting but includes a wrapper shell script, I was hoping to
> find a way to capture all warnings (and, in fact, errors too), and
> handle them in my own way. I realise I can do this for a single
> expression using something like:
>
>  > f <- function(w) print(w$message)
>  > withCallingHandlers(warning("Test"),warning=f)
> [1] "Test"
> Warning message:
> In withCallingHandlers(warning("Test"), warning = f) : Test
>
> But I would like to capture all warnings, globally. The
> "warning.expression" option doesn't seem to allow an argument, and I
> can't seem to use "last.warning" to get at the message either:
>
>  > g <- function() print(last.warning$message)
>  > options(warning.expression=quote(g()))
>  > warning("Test2")
> NULL
>
> Could anyone tell me whether there's a way to do this, please? An old
> thread on this topic seemed to go unresolved (2), and I've skimmed RNEWS
> and I don't see anything about this since then.

In fact, the thread did have the answer: tryCatch(). The help page is a
bear to read and comprehend, but if you do invest the time it should
convince you that you will want to use it. I find that I have to read
and reread many sections of R documentation before I can reconcile what
I want to know with what the authors are trying to tell me.

I don't comprehend everything about R's condition system, but let me see
if I can convince you that you need tryCatch() to do what you want.

Consider:

x <- function() warning("warning message")
y <- function() call_unknown_fun()
z <- function() message('message message')

Each of these functions signal conditions of a particular condition
class: simpleWarning, simpleError, and simpleMessage, respectively.

w <- function(e) str(e)

I'm going to use w  to trap the simpleWarning condition: