[Rd] Rcpp: Clarifying the meaning of GPL?

Sean O'Riordain sean.oriordain at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 19:17:13 CET 2009

Good afternoon,

While I don't know the history of this particular conflict - to me the
entire *purpose* of the GPL is to ALLOW forking of code which must
remain in public.  If somebody forks code and makes any change
whatsoever and then distributes either the diff or the entire previous
project, then they can (and probably should) add their name as a
copyright holder to the copyrights of previous contributors.  They
cannot however remove previous copyright holders names so easily.

It should be noted that having multiple independent copyright holder
names on a GPL project is normally held as a positive thing - it makes
it much harder to un-GPL the project.

Kind regards,
Sean