[Rd] sort yields different results on OS X (PR#14163)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Dec 22 13:18:46 CET 2009

As the help says

      The sort order for character vectors will depend on the collating
      sequence of the locale in use: see ‘Comparison’.

and that ref says

      Collation of
      non-letters (spaces, punctuation signs, hyphens, fractions and so
      on) is even more problematic.

That different OSes use the same name for a locale does not make them
the same locale.

Note that R can be compiled to use ICU, which provides a
well-considered collation suite.  R on Mac OS X uses ICU, as does a
Linux build if it is available -- so I would say that it is RHEL that
is out of line here (it makes little sense to have < and > far apart
in the collation sequence).

Why did you report a documented difference as a bug?