[Rd] ?setGeneric garbled (PR#14153)

maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Dec 19 15:01:37 CET 2009

    >>> Oh dear, yes indeed, you are right!
    >>>
    >>> So, astonishing as that may be, indeed for the 'text' version of
    >>> help, it seems that ... under some circumstances ...
    >>> the  (NAMESPACE-hidden) method
    >>> utils:::print.help_files_with_topic()
    >>>
    >>> which ends up calling file.show() :
    >>>
    >>> if (file.exists(paste(RdDB, "rdx", sep = "."))) {
    >>> temp <- tools::Rd2txt(tools:::fetchRdDB(RdDB,
    >>> basename(file)), out = tempfile("Rtxt"), package = pkgname)
    >>> file.show(temp, title = gettextf("R Help on '%s'",
    >>> topic), delete.file = TRUE)
    >>> }
    >>>

    >>> *is* still influenced by the original *.Rd file's (lack) of new
    >>> lines, somewhat astonishingly to me.
    >>>
    >>> Even more, I cannot understand that other people do not see the
    >>> same phenomenon (though maybe they would if they cared to notice...),
    >>> and also that you only get the "garbling" problem with ESS, and
    >>> only for R version 2.10, but not 2.8.
    >>> Did our  'Rd2txt()' change here on purpose?
    >>>

    >> I seem to recall fixing a bug in the line wrapping code, but I can't
    >> spot it in a quick glance over the log.  Maybe I forgot to commit the
    >> fix?  I can't look into this now, but I'll follow up later.

    DM> The patch I recalled did get committed on November 8, with this NEWS entry:

    DM> o	Text help rendering did not handle very long input lines
    DM> properly.

    DM> So it made it into 2.10.1.  Do you still see the problem there?  I don't
    DM> see it in text help for setGeneric in the Windows gui.

    DM> Duncan Murdoch

I think it was never a problem in the GUI,
however when using ESS.

For some reason, I did overlook that Ross was talking about
Windows.  I had never checked it on Windows,
but did now {using our Windows terminal server}.

Indeed:  R 2.10.0  with ESS shows the problem Ross found
	 R 2.10.1  with ESS *NO LONGER* shows the problem.

--> I'm CC'ing R-bugs,  as this bug report
    	 ... an R bug after all  ..
    can be closed.

Thanks to all helpers!
Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich