[Rd] Rd cross-references ... WARNING in R-2.10.*

RICHARD M. HEIBERGER rmh at temple.edu
Mon Dec 14 22:31:22 CET 2009

I have observed a difference in behavior of R CMD check in older R vs R-2.10.x
on windows.
* using R version 2.10.0 (2009-10-26)
* using R version 2.10.1 RC (2009-12-14 r50718)

2.10 seems to be looking on the internet for crossreferenced packages.
I am not sure why it is looking.  The string <pkg> is not in any of
the Rd files.  I think it is not finding any CRAN sites because I am
currently behind a firewall.  I have attempted several variations of

R --internet2 CMD check --no-examples --no-latex packagename

and no position that I placed the keyword "--internet2" was valid.

* checking Rd metadata ... OK
* checking Rd cross-references ... WARNING
Warning: unable to access index for repository http://cran.r-project.org/src/con
trib
Warning: unable to access index for repository http://www.omegahat.org/R/src/con
trib
Warning: unable to access index for repository http://www.bioconductor.org/packa
ges/2.5/bioc/src/contrib
Warning: unable to access index for repository http://www.bioconductor.org/packa
ges/2.5/data/annotation/src/contrib
Warning: unable to access index for repository http://www.bioconductor.org/packa
ges/2.5/data/experiment/src/contrib
Unknown package(s) '<pkg>' in Rd xrefs
* checking for missing documentation entries ... WARNING

By comparison

* using R version 2.8.0 (2008-10-20)

* checking Rd cross-references ... OK
* checking for missing documentation entries ... WARNING

If my diagnosis looks correct, can you suggest what is triggering
the search on the internet?  Can you give a more specific warning message?
Is there a way to force internet2 in the R CMD check setting?

Thanks

Rich