[Rd] R on Windows crashes when using certain characters in strings in data frames (PR#14125)

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Dec 14 13:34:35 CET 2009

On 10/12/2009 4:20 AM, karl at huftis.org wrote:
> Full_Name: Karl Ove Hufthammer
> Version: 2.10.0
> OS: Windows XP
> Submission from: (NULL) (93.124.134.66)
>

> I have found a rather strange bug in R 2.10.0 on Windows, where the choice of
> characters used in a string make R crash (i.e., Windows shows a dialogue saying
> that the application has a problem, and must be closed).

This was related to encoding changes.  It likely appeared
Windows-specific because Windows uses a different default encoding than
most Linux systems.  I believe it is fixed now in R-devel, and it will
soon make it into 2.10.1-patched, but it came too late to make it into
today's release.

I believe PR#14114 was the same issue and is also fixed, but I did less
testing of it.  I'd appreciate it if those who saw either bug in real
code test the patches.  They should be in today's tarball of R-devel,
and did make it into the Windows binary build of R-devel this morning.

Duncan