[Rd] PR#14099

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Sun Dec 6 18:39:27 CET 2009

ulrich.keller at uni.lu wrote:
> The notes asked why an Ubuntu/Compiz problem is being reported on
> R-bugs. Answer: because the fact that no other application exhibits
> these redrawing problems seems to indicate that R is to blame, not
> Compiz.

Wrong logic. And just because you have "the only" system that displays
such behaviour does not imply that R is bug-free, nor that a workaround
is necessarily impossible.

> Furthermore, the data editor is not drawn properly with Metacity
> either (some row names missing until cursor is moved).

That's not true for Metacity on Fedora, it seems.

> Should I make a
> new bug report that does not mention Compiz?

Certainly not! Hiding the fact that this is system-specific does not
resolve the issue any faster. To the contrary, since it is
system-specific, it is most likely to be analyzed and eventually fixed
by someone with access to the specific system.

However, R is an application that has worked across multiple X11 based
platforms for many years. If R doesn't work on a new platform, I think
it is fair to ask what is being done different on that platform, by
filing a bug report for the system, if necessary.