[Rd] raster support in graphics devices

Romain Francois romain.francois at dbmail.com
Fri Dec 4 17:01:58 CET 2009

On 12/04/2009 03:19 PM, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> I am looking for the data to be just as if I had read in the png file (or
> wmf file or whatever).

Hi,

You are after the binary payload of the rendered graph as a png file. So
you are going to have to go through a png file.

It would be nice to be able to render to a binary connection, like a
rawConnection, but it seems like an expensive "nice to have"

> grid.cap seems to give a bitmap and then would
> require some sort of processing to get the png or wmf, etc. form.  Also note
> that I need it for classic graphics and not just grid graphics.

grid.cap does not seem to care, baptiste code uses traditional graphics

> What I have right now works just as I want it _except_ I have to create a
> file and then read it back in which seems a waste.

Can you measure the time it takes to do dev.off() and readBin ?

> On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 9:06 AM, baptiste auguie<
> baptiste.auguie at googlemail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> You can use grid.cap,
>>
>> x11()
>> plot(1:10)
>> g = grid.cap()
>> dev.off()
>> str(g)
>> # chr [1:672, 1:671] "white" "white" "white" "white" "white" ...
>>
>> but as far as I understand in ?grid.cap and the underlying code there
>> is no "capGrob" equivalent that wouldn't require opening a new device
>> before capturing the output.
>>
>>   I hope I'm mistaken.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> baptiste
>>
>> 2009/12/4 Gabor Grothendieck<ggrothendieck at gmail.com>:
>>> Currently I have an application that saves the current graphics image
>> (that
>>> was created with classic graphics or grid graphics) to a file and then
>> reads
>>> the file back in using readBin:
>>>
>>> png("my.png")
>>> plot(1:10)
>>> dev.off()
>>> raw.img<- readBin("my.png", "raw", size = 1, n = 100000000)
>>>
>>> (I am doing this on Windows but would like to be able to do it on any
>>> platform.)
>>>
>>> Does the new raster functionality give me any way to get the object
>> raw.img
>>> without creating the intermediate file, my.png?  If so what is the
>>> corresponding code?

>> *graphics

>> graphics
>> dev_Cap().