[Rd] PROTECT and OCaml GC.

Guillaume Yziquel guillaume.yziquel at citycable.ch
Tue Dec 1 11:48:54 CET 2009

Guillaume Yziquel a écrit :

> One last thing, concerning the use of promises. If I do install,
> findVar, without forcing the resulting promise, and then construct the
> call, I get a failure:
>
>> # R.eval_langsxp (R.langsxp_of_list [(R.symbol "str"); (R.symbol
>> "lm")] 2);;
>> Erreur dans function (object, ...)  :   function générique incorrecte
>> dans 'UseMethod'
>> Exception: Failure "OCaml-R error in r_eval_sxp C stub.".
>
> If I force the promises:
>
>> # R.eval_langsxp (R.langsxp_of_list [(R.force (R.symbol "str"));
>> (R.force (R.symbol "lm"))] 2);;
>> function (formula, data, subset, weights, na.action, method = "qr",
>>     model = TRUE, x = FALSE, y = FALSE, qr = TRUE, singular.ok = TRUE,
>>     contrasts = NULL, offset, ...)  - : R.sexp = <abstr>
>
> It works.
>
> So you may say that "I'm not constructing it right", I still believe
> that describing precisely what kind of arguments is accepted by eval
> would a good thing.

It seems that Matjaz Kukar had the same kind of issue that I have with
usemethod:

	http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/devel/04/10/0902.html

I just remark two things from the resulting thread:

-1- He asks where to find a more precise documentation of the R API,
which is also something I'd be looking for,

-2- He has been suggested to use findVar1, which doesn't seem to be part
of the API.

Will be looking into findVar1, findFun, findVar, though I do not
understand why this fails in my case. Please feel free to enlighten me.

All the best,

--
      Guillaume Yziquel
http://yziquel.homelinux.org/