[Rd] Basic Question regarding PROTECT

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Aug 24 15:24:27 CEST 2009

On 8/24/2009 9:10 AM, Sapsi wrote:
> Hello
> Thank you for the response. So if my call is
>
> y=foo()
> z=malloc ( by memory allocations , do you mean via R_alloc and
> allocVector and malloc or just the former two)

Any allocation which is managed by R's memory manager, so that includes
the former two, and many other kinds of calls which do allocations, i.e.
essentially any call to the R API unless it's documented not to do
allocations. In most cases calling PROTECT is quite cheap, so it is
worth doing if you're not sure.  (There are exceptions:  because the
PROTECT stack is finite, you can overflow it if you PROTECT too much.
That could happen in a loop or a deep recursion.)

> Other statements
>
> Then I need  to protect y. And in my case I don't return to R since I
> have embedded it.
>
> Why is this the case I.e if I perform mem allocs , I need to protect y

Because R's memory manager does automatic garbage collection.  If you
don't protect y, then the memory manager will not know that it is still
in use.  The next time it needs some memory it may decide to free y and
re-use that space.

Duncan Murdoch