[Rd] S4: inheritance of validity methods? + Inconsistency in order of validity checks.

Vitalie S. vitosmail at rambler.ru
Thu Aug 20 15:29:41 CEST 2009

With the help of Martin Morgan here is the solution for the above question.

First create VIRTUAL class with all the test for children classes:

setClass("TESTS", validity=function(object) {
     cat("Validity here:", class(object), "\n")
     TRUE
})

.simple <- function(object) {
     cat("No validity -", class(object), "\n")
     TRUE
}
setClass("A", representation(a="numeric", n="integer"),
          validity=.simple)
setClass("B", representation("A", b="numeric"),
          validity=.simple)
setClass("C", representation("B", c="numeric"),
          validity=.simple)

Set each children to inherit from TESTS class:

setIs("B", "TESTS")
setIs("C", "TESTS")

Now we have exactly what we wanted, validity tests are executed only once:
> res <- new("B", b=1)
Validity here: B
No validity - A
No validity - B

> res <- new("C", c=1)
No validity - A
Validity here: C
No validity - B
No validity - C

The order in which validity is called above is somewhat counter intuitive.

For class "C" complete hierarchy is this:
> superClassDepth(getClass("C"))$label
[1] "B"     "TESTS" "A"     "TESTS" "TESTS"

so if validity would start bottomup then TEST should be the first to
follow. And vector of unique superclasses would be
c("B", "A", "TEST").

Instead validity uses the vector of unique labels constructed *TOPDOWN* :
> getAllSuperClasses(getClass("C"))
[1] "B"     "TESTS" "A"

Apparently this is an inconsistency in implementation, isn't it?

Vitalie.