[Rd] R CMD check --use-valgrind doesn't run valgrind on tests

Charles Geyer charlie at stat.umn.edu
Mon Aug 17 21:05:11 CEST 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 10:34:55AM +0100, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> This was not implemented in R 2.9.x -- the comments in check.in don't
> agree with the usage, and it seemed unlikely that anyone really wanted
> this (it can be very slow, so perhaps a test at a time?), so this was
> intentional (apart from not altering the reported usage).

Well I ran it on all of my packages just before they shipped to CRAN
as well as --use-gct if the package used .Call.  Yes it was very slow
and yes that meant shipping a new version of a package took hours.
But it did catch several bugs before they shipped.  And I thought
the whole point of regression testing was to be automatic.

> I've added it back for 2.9.2.

Thanks.  I think that's a good idea.

> It also showed up that R CMD BATCH -d valgrind did not work (but
> --debugger=valgrind did): also fixed for 2.9.2.
>
> On Sun, 16 Aug 2009, Charles Geyer wrote:
>
> >R CMD check --use-valgrind <packagename> used to run valgrind on the
> >tests in the tests directory of the package.  But it seems to have stopped.
> >R-2.9.1 doesn't -- at least on my box -- and neither does R-2.10.0 (devel).
> >I am not sure when this stopped.  I think 2.8.x did this.  The only old
> >R I have around is 2.6.0 and it certainly does.
> >
> >R CMD check --help for 2.9.1 says (among other things)
> >
> >   --use-valgrind    use 'valgrind' when running examples/tests/vignettes
> >
> >so the documentation seems to say that the old behavior should also be
> >the current behavior, but it isn't -- at least on my box.

[rest deleted]

--
Charles Geyer
Professor, School of Statistics