[Rd] Awkward escaping with five backslashes within \code{ } in new parse_Rd

Peter Ruckdeschel peter.ruckdeschel at web.de
Wed Aug 12 00:05:04 CEST 2009

Hi R-devels,

I noticed that you are working quite actively on the new Rd-parser
and have made it the default renderer in R-2.10.0dev. So I would
like to come back on an issue I have already raised on this list
last November

("Two minor escaping issues using \preformatted{....} in Rd format")

My setting has slightly changed as \preformatted, AFAICS is not
supported within \describe environments, so I have switched to
\code{} ...

The issue is again the correct typesetting of

            \\\\\%

within a \code{}-tag.

This sequence occurs within a string (hence valid R code) in the
documentation to my CRAN package SweaveListingUtils.

So far the new parser cannot swallow such sequences
of 5 backslashes followed by a percent sign correctly, but rather
still throws an error;

as the former parser, it can digest it if I leave a space between the
fourth and fifth backslash, but then also prints this space out what is
not what I want.

Now admittedly this is not an urgent question, but if you are
working on the parser anyway, you might perhaps try to make my
sequence digestible, too.

Best regards,
Peter