[Rd] odbcConnectExcel on non-Windows?

spencerg spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Sun Aug 9 20:09:09 CEST 2009

Dear Marc:

      In spite of your efforts to help me, I still get an "F" in your
"WriteXLS" class.  Consider the following:

 > library(WriteXLS)
 > help(pac=WriteXLS)
 > testPerl()
Perl found.

The following Perl modules were not found on this system:

Text::CSV_XS

If you have more than one Perl installation, be sure the correct one was
used here.

Otherwise, please install the missing modules. See the package INSTALL
file for more information.

##########################

      Might it be feasible to include the required Perl modules with the
"WriteXLS" package?  Then you would not have to rely on fools like me
not knowing how to get the preferred copy of any required Perl modules.

      On my Windows platform (Vista), I got RODBC to work for
"writeFindFn2xls" in the "sos" package.  Unfortunately, the "daily
checks" on R-Forge failed on non-Windows platforms.  When I saw that, I
asked R-Devel for help.  Dirk suggested I try "WriteXLS";  see below.

      What do you suggest?

      If I don't hear an answer, I propose to NOT add "WriteXLS" to the
"DESCRIPTION" file but rather to modify the code for "writeFindFn2xls"
so that on non-Windows platforms, it tests to see if "WriteXLS" is
installed.  If no, it will issue an appropriate error message.  If it
finds "WriteXLS", it will try to use it.

      However, if you have other suggestions, I'd be pleased to hear them.

      Best Wishes,
      Spencer Graves

 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.9.1 (2009-06-26)
i386-pc-mingw32

locale:
LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252;LC_CTYPE=English_United
States.1252;LC_MONETARY=English_United
States.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] sos_1.0-5      brew_1.0-3     WriteXLS_1.8.1