[Rd] Wishlist: Navigate to "Index" page of help when no topic (PR#13872)

murdoch at stats.uwo.ca murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Aug 5 02:10:12 CEST 2009

On 04/08/2009 7:33 PM, Steven McKinney wrote:
> [...]

I would guess package?survival will take you to a help page that is
similar to what you get now in the flat display from
library(help=survival).  Ideally it will have a link on it to the index
page.  It is possible that ?survival will work too; that may be more
controversial, because for many packages (e.g. boot) an alias like that
is already defined, pointing to something other than the package main page.

> Do I need to propose code or is it already
> known how to do this within the R core group?

I doubt if code to do that would be accepted (since it will be redundant
once the above changes are in place), but posting it to r-devel might
help people in the meantime.  You should look at the tools package,
which has a number of functions that are used by R for constructing the
help pages; there's probably something there that will let you construct
a link to the index fairly easily.

Duncan Murdoch