[Rd] About ParallelR and licensing of packages

Fellows, Ian ifellows at ucsd.edu
Mon Apr 27 07:24:31 CEST 2009

Matthew,

   I can only assume that because you posted this to R Devel that you wish for general commentary. So far as I am able to tell, Revolutions has acted in the best of faith regarding respecting the GPL license and the R community. It is unfortunate that premature claims like yours may scare off future commercial vendors who wish to respect the IP of contributors.

Without knowing much about it's implementation, it seems to me that your claim that ParallelR is somehow a derivative of data.table seems implausible to the extreme. How exactly do you think that their parallel code 'requires' your package to work? And if you don't know, don't you think that it might have been a little premature to make a big public fuss about it?

>This potential dispute is between myself only and REvolution. You must engage with me directly by answering the questions above with respect to data.table. It is a matter for you whether you answer publicly, via your lawyers or
>privately to me.  It is my understanding that any other GPL'd R library owners is also entitled to establish, either now or in the future, whether they are also potentially in dispute with you on the same basis as above. There are up
>to 1,700 distinct R libraries, each of which could potentially generate 1,700 claims of breach of contract on you. One of those is the R Foundation, who as license holder for the library "base" have stated they will make a public
>statement in due course. That is a matter for the R Foundation, and them alone.  In my potential dispute with you, under English law I have 6 years between the date of any as yet unknown breach of contract and the date by
>which I must serve notice on you and submit particulars of claim to the court.  My lawyers cannot start to draft particulars of claim until we have established we are actually in dispute.

Dr. Ripley noted earlier in this thread that base is considered part of the language. As for your mythical storm of 1700 breaches of contract,... that would only be the case if either, 1700 packages were directly called, and required by the parts of REvolutions that are proprietary, or 1700 package maintainers misunderstood the GPL.

>4. Whether or not I felt legally obligated to release data.table under the GPL, because it was or was not derived from the R library "base", or any other point of FSF guidance, is irrelevant to my potential dispute with you regarding
> data.table. The fact is I released data.table under the GPL.

again, base would seem to be part of the language.

>5. Denise has stated to be a long-time supporter of the FSF and has served on the board of the Open Source Initiative since 2001. In what manner does support of FSF extend?  Holding such affiliations may create a conflict o
>f interest with regard to my potential claim against you. It is feasible, if we are in dispute of course, that my lawyers could at a future date ask Denise to relinquish either the FSF affiliation or employment by you.  I had already
> communicated with the FSF for example before the email from Denise, so you may be privy to such communication, potentially causing a conflict or interest.

It seems a bit arrogant to claim that you might be able legally force a private individual who has committed no crime to change what people or organizations that they associate with. You could of course "ask" that she relinquish associations, but that is not up to you or your lawyers. That is between the FSF and her.

Ian