[Rd] License status of CRAN packages

Kurt Hornik Kurt.Hornik at wu-wien.ac.at
Fri Apr 24 16:29:40 CEST 2009

> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 4:59 PM, Ben Goodrich <goodrich at fas.harvard.edu>wrote:
>> Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd <at> debian.org> writes:
>> > As a non-exhautive list with possible misclassifications, cran2deb
>> currently
>> > has these packasges as 'maybe not free' and does not build them:
>> >
>> >      BARD,BayesDA,CoCo,ConvCalendar,FAiR,PTAk,RScaLAPACK,Rcsdp,SDDA,SGP,
>>

>  BayesDA has
>    License:       GPL version 2 or any later version

> what is unclear about that?

Nothing, although the spec is not canonical as per R-exts, see
http://www.r-project.org/nosvn/R.check/r-devel-linux-ix86/BayesDA-00check.html:

* checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... NOTE
Non-standard license specification:
GPL version 2 or any later version
Standardizable: TRUE
Standardized license specification:
GPL (>= 2)

But as I wrote, the new code in 2.9.0 standardizes when it can ...

-k