[Rd] suggestion for R >= 3.0: computer-readable CHANGELOG

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Fri Apr 17 20:09:08 CEST 2009

OK, then, I catch the practical point of view that is: nobody will use
it and we cannot force people to use it. So, it means that we should
think about tools to *automatically* generate a limited set of entries
in the CHANGELOG.

Something like new functions appearing in a package, functions being
deprecated, change in the function's interface (arguments definition),
change in the dependence of packages could be tracked automatically if
the previous version of the package is available. This should be the
case for packages on CRAN and Bioconductor, after first release. So,
those "changelog" tools should be best deployed at this level.

Further details could be provided directly inside the code, using simple
formatting, and proposed as a purely optional feature. I think at
something like:

foo <- function (x, mynewarg) {
     #CHANGE# arg:mynewarg:A new argument in my function
}

or

bar <- function (y) {
     #CHANGE# fun:Short details about this new function
}

Those #CHANGE# tags would be located by the function that automatically
builds the CHANGELOG and corresponding details would be added. If I
define a new function without documenting change, the CHANGELOG would
still get an entry for the addition of this function, but just without
comment.

After all, these #CHANGE# tags could be useful in the code too! So, that
would encourage programmers to use them,... and it is not that far away
from current practices for documenting code.

I am open to any other proposition for the syntax of those tags, of course.
Best,

Philippe Grosjean