[Rd] data argument and environments

roger koenker roger at ysidro.econ.uiuc.edu
Sun Apr 12 21:08:18 CEST 2009

Thanks.  Yes,  I wrote rqss,  and attempted to follow the structure of
lm, and various analogues,
for example in survival4.  My problem seems to be that my lam variable
is not part of
the data frame d, and I don't know how to manipulate the environment
for the formula
so that it is found.  There is an untangle.specials() call

	tmpc <- untangle.specials(Terms, "qss")

and then each of the "specials"  terms are evaluated in:

	qss <- lapply(tmpc$vars, function(u) eval(parse(text = u), data))

which is fine if the data hasn't been specified so it defaults to
parent.frame(), since in
this case variables and lam can all be found in the parent.frame,  but
if
it is specified as a data frame for the variables of the model, then
the lam value is
unavailable.  My impression is that it is somewhat unusual to pass
data other than
variables from the data frame itself for evaluation of the formula --
I thought there
were examples in mgcv, but I now see that  lamdas in gam() are passed
as separate
arguments, rather than in the special components of the formula.
Perhaps I need
to revert to this strategy, but I'd prefer not to.  Surely, there is
some good way to modify
the above lapply so  that eval finds both stuff in data and in the
parent.frame?  It
appears that I can simply define pf <- parent.frame()  and then add
enclos = pf
to the above eval() call,  is this ok?

Roger