[Rd] type.convert (PR#13646)

s.raberger at innovest.at s.raberger at innovest.at
Thu Apr 9 10:50:13 CEST 2009

Full_Name: Stefan Raberger
Version: 2.8.1
OS: Windows XP
Submission from: (NULL) (213.185.163.242)

Hi there,

I recently noticed some strange behaviour of the command "type.convert",
depending on the startup mode used. But there also seems to be different
behaviour on different PCs (all running the same OS and the same version of R).

On PC1:
When I start R in SDI mode (RGui --no-save --no-restore --no-site-file
--no-init-file --no-environ) and try to convert, the result is

> type.convert("§")
[1] NA

If I use MDI mode (RGui --no-save --no-restore --no-site-file --no-init-file
--no-environ --no-Rconsole) instead, the result is

> type.convert("§")
[1] §
Levels: §

On PC2 it's exactly the other way round (SDI: §, MDI: NA), on PC2 the result is
always NA, independent of the startup mode used, and on PC4 it's always §.

What's the result I should expect R to return, and why is it different in so
many cases?

Any help is much appreciated!
Regards, Stefan