[Rd] Cross-platform function availability

hadley wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 19:43:51 CEST 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 12:06 PM, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca> wrote:
> On 9/15/2008 11:42 AM, hadley wickham wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is there any way to determine which functions are available on which
>> platforms?  For example, winProgr essBar (and related functions) are
>> only available on Windows, but what about tkProgressBar and
>> txtProgressBar?  Is there any way to figure out which functions are
>> only available on certain platforms, without installing R on that
>> platform and checking?
>
> Generally I think the only reliable way is to look at the source. Things in
> "windows" subdirs, or marked off with "#ifdef windows" (in Rd) or "#ifdef
> Win32" (in C) are for windows only.  Probably our documentation should point
> out when something is platform-specific, and frequently it does, but I don't
> think it is completely consistent in this.

To me it seems like it would be easier to include the all functions
all on platforms, and then return an error on platforms where they
aren't supported.  The problem I'm now having is that I'm now getting
an warning when building my package because it can't link to the
documentation for winProgressBar.  Should I just ignore that warning?

Hadley

--
http://had.co.nz/