[Rd] Moving to a new bug reporting system?

Peter Dalgaard P.Dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Sep 2 13:11:13 CEST 2008

Rory.WINSTON at rbs.com wrote:
> Hi all
>
> This may be an issue that has been discussed at length before, so apologies if I have missed that discussion, but is there any desire to switch from Jitterbug to something more capable and modern? Say JIRA, for instance?

Not on this list, recently, but internally in R Core. Nothing that needs
to be secret, I think.

Latest explorations (following preliminary discussions at useR) have
been in the direction of moving stuff onto R-forge.r-project.org and its
Gforge tracker tool. I don't see us considering a non-OpenSource option.

In general, the thing to look for is maintainability more than
capablility, at least in my opinion, and R-forge has the advantage that
it is preexisting and supported infrastructure. One major disadvantage
is that we'd lose the possibility of integrating r-devel discussions
with bug reports -- we can echo repository changes to the list, but
feeding followups back in requires manual intervention or that we tell
people not to reply but to go to the repository if they have anything to
add. On the other hand, that seems to be what "everyone else" is doing
these days.