[Rd] HAVE_BZLIB_H not set

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Sun Oct 26 17:02:00 CET 2008

When building 2.8.0 this morning for Fedora, I noticed that it was
building the included bzlib2 source and using it rather than the system
bzip2 libraries and headers. I tracked down the reason to this section
of configure:

cat >>conftest.$ac_ext <<_ACEOF
/* end confdefs.h.  */

#ifdef HAVE_BZLIB_H
#include <bzlib.h>
#endif
int main() {
    char *ver = BZ2_bzlibVersion();
    exit(strcmp(ver, "1.0.5") < 0);
}

_ACEOF

That code wasn't working at all because HAVE_BZLIB_H never gets set
anywhere, even though the configure script had found the system bzip2
bits. This patch adds it to m4/R.m4 and configure, against 2.8.0. With
the patch, R now properly detects bzip2 1.0.5 in Fedora and uses that
rather than the local copy.

~spot