[Rd] Possible uninstall problem on windows.

Erich Neuwirth erich.neuwirth at univie.ac.at
Sun Oct 26 14:50:34 CET 2008

I just uninstalled R 2.7.2 on Windows XP after having installed R 2.8.0
The uninstaller removed the String values
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\R-core\R\Current Version
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\R-core\R\InstallPath
despite the fact that they pointed to R 2.8.0
The uninstaller did not remove the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\R-core\R\2.7.2
(and all the values in that key)

I think the uninstaller should only remove the Current Version entry
if it points to its own version.

In a second attempt, the 2.7.2 uninstaller removed the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\R-core\R\2.7.2
(which is what it should do)
but it still removed the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\R-core\R\Current Version
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\R-core\R\InstallPath
values. It should not have removed these keys.

Sometimes this does not happen, and I have not found a consistent
explanation when it happens and when not.
Sometimes also running RSetReg.exe creates a second entry like
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\R-core\R\2.7.2
which has identical content with the first one.
The registry really looks like having 2 identical entries.

Is this something which I should file as a bug?

--
Erich Neuwirth, University of Vienna
Faculty of Computer Science