[Rd] Possible GPL Violation

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Thu Oct 23 00:02:10 CEST 2008

Ian Fellows wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> I was cruising around today, and came across a company (ZumaStat) that adds
> additional statistics functionality to SPSS.
>

>>From the Website:
>
> http://www.zumastat.com/robust_statistics.htm
>

> "ZumaStat provides a user friendly interface to access powerful statistical
> programs on robust statistics that are available in the computer package
> called R, which is available free.  Most of the R functions were written by
> Professor Rand Wilcox of the University of Southern California and are
> described in his three books:"
>

> It seems unlikely that the functionality of this program can be separated
> from the R-packages upon which it relies, thus making them one work subject
> to GPL. Does anyone have any experience with this software/company? Any
> thoughts?

As far as I can see they are using R to run prof. Wilcox's R functions.
This is not the same as the "robust" package. Judging from his website,
prof. Wilcox doesn't believe in packaging nor licencing; all his
functions are just stored in one big file. However, even if he had a GPL
on his code, there's no telling whether he did a dual licencing deal
with ZumaSoft. As it stands, I suspect that he's just happy with the
exposure his books are getting.

That leaves the question of whether they might be infringing upon R
itself. There ae some really murky legal areas around linking, plugins,
and interfacing to GPL'd programs (when does something become a
"derivative work"?), but I don't think this is a good case to test them out.