[Rd] Possible GPL Violation

Ian Fellows ifellows at ucsd.edu
Wed Oct 22 23:43:42 CEST 2008

Perhaps my understanding of GPL is lacking, but isn't this the reason that
GPL is different for LGPL? Linking to functions is allowed in the lesser
license, but not in GPL.

>From the gpl faq:
If a programming language interpreter is released under the GPL, does that
mean programs written to be interpreted by it must be under GPL-compatible
licenses?

    When the interpreter just interprets a language, the answer is no. The
interpreted program, to the interpreter, is just data; a free software
license like the GPL, based on copyright law, cannot limit what data you use
the interpreter on. You can run it on any data (interpreted program), any
way you like, and there are no requirements about licensing that data to
anyone.

    However, when the interpreter is extended to provide "bindings" to other
facilities (often, but not necessarily, libraries), the interpreted program
is effectively linked to the facilities it uses through these bindings. So
if these facilities are released under the GPL, the interpreted program that
uses them must be released in a GPL-compatible way. The JNI or Java Native
Interface is an example of such a binding mechanism; libraries that are
accessed in this way are linked dynamically with the Java programs that call
them. These libraries are also linked with the interpreter. If the
interpreter is linked statically with these libraries, or if it is designed
to link dynamically with these specific libraries, then it too needs to be
released in a GPL-compatible way.

My understanding of this is that any function can be distributed under any
terms that you wish, so long as they don't use any GPL higher level
functions (i.e. ones not directly implemented by the language). What
constitutes higher level is a little bit fuzzy to me, but I suppose that the
package Stats might qualify.

Ian

IANAL either, and I haven't read any contract law books. So please let me
know where I'm going astray (as I go astray often).