[Rd] aggregate(empty data.frame) (PR#13167)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 15 14:15:29 CEST 2008

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008, prokaj at cs.elte.hu wrote:

> Full_Name: Vilmos Prokaj
> Version: R-2..7.1
> OS: Win XP
> Submission from: (NULL) (157.181.227.218)
>

> The 'aggregate' function on an empty data.frame generate an error, however it
> should return according to the documentation an empty data.frame.

Please explain that to me: I don't see it says so.

What I see is

      'aggregate.data.frame' is the data frame method.  If 'x' is not a
      data frame, it is coerced to one.  Then, each of the variables
      (columns) in 'x' is split into subsets of cases (rows) of
      identical combinations of the components of 'by', and 'FUN' is
      applied to each such subset with further arguments in '...' passed
      to it. (I.e., 'tapply(VAR, by, FUN, ..., simplify = FALSE)' is
      done for each variable 'VAR' in 'x', conveniently wrapped into one
      call to 'lapply()'.) Empty subsets are removed, and the result is
      reformatted into a data frame containing the variables in 'by' and
      'x'.

Since all the subsets are empty, there is no result to be reformatted.
In particular the second and third columns of your example have types that
can only be determined by running sum() and since all groups are empty,
sum() is never run.  We can't create a data frame that would be consistent
with that returned for one or more groups via the documented algorithm.

The error message could definitely be clearer, but I don't see an
alternative to giving an error.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk