[Rd] [R-sig-Debian] problem with update.packages (PR#13161)

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Oct 14 14:27:45 CEST 2008

On 14 October 2008 at 12:38, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
| The error is on installed.packages(): you have a faulty package installed.

Confirmed. That explains why my update.r from littler worked as it looked
only at /usr/local/lib/R/.  Being more explicit about lib.loc I get:

> update.packages(repos="http://cran.r-project.org", lib.loc="/usr/lib/R/site-library")
Error in read.dcf(pkgpath, fields = fields) :
  Line starting 'unix; ...' is malformed!
> update.packages(repos="http://cran.r-project.org", lib.loc="/usr/lib/R/library")
boot :
 Version 1.2-33 installed in /usr/lib/R/library
 Version 1.2-34 available at http://cran.r-project.org
Update (y/N/c)?  n
[...]

But how do I find out which package this is, and why did R 2.7.2 didn't fall
over?

Dirk

| On Tue, 14 Oct 2008, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
|

| > On 14 October 2008 at 10:09, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
| > | On Tue, 14 Oct 2008, Peter Dalgaard wrote:
| > |
> [...]
| > |
| > | (Neither of those read DCF files: my expectation is that this is
| > | available.packages() reading a DCF file downloaded from a CRAN mirror.)
| > |
| > | I do use update.packages() daily on pre-2.8.0 and I have not seen a
| > | problem.  (I keep a separate package installation for test versions.)
| > |