[Rd] Thin spaces

hadley wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 15:58:44 CEST 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 1:01 AM, Prof Brian Ripley
<ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Oct 2008, hadley wickham wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm looking at providing some nicer number formatting features for
>> axes in ggplot2.  One thing I would like to do is use thin spaces to
>> separate digits, like you can in latex.  I realise I can use unicode
>> spaces to do this (e.g.
>> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars/spaces.html), but what are the
>> possible pitfalls.  Is this likely to work on all graphics devices
>> across all platforms?
>
> Unlikely to work on most devices.

Thanks for the information.  I realise I could have tried the
experiment you described, but that would have only told me it didn't
work on the mac, and it wouldn't have told me if there was another way
to achieve the same effect.

I guess latex must vary the size of a standard space rather than using
a special unicode space.  This is probably not surprising given that
latex considerably predates unicode.

Thanks again for the help,

Hadley

--