[Rd] Attributes of top level environments clobbered (was Re: [R] possible bug in function 'var' in R 2.7.2?)

Luke Tierney luke at stat.uiowa.edu
Fri Oct 3 17:43:07 CEST 2008

I will look into fixing it sometime if no one else feels like doing
it.  The environment aspect is not high priority; some other related
issues are more so (locking and active bindings as I recall).  But
even thoughs may not make it to the top of my queue any time soon.

The issue of placing attributes on environments has come up before,
many times.  It is routinely advised against.  For better or worse,
the way environments were exposed to the R level is not designed to
support this properly.  Fixing this so that attributes are supported
reliably is non-trivial, and it is hard to justify the effort given
that there are standard work-arounds (such as putting the environment
in a list and attaching attributes to the list).  An alternative way
of removing the issues associated with attributes on environments, in
line with the way NULL works, is to disable placing attributes on
environments, at least from the R level.  This option is looking
increasingly attractive.

luke