[Rd] Wishlist: fix error in documentation for body<- (PR#13318)

fabian.scheipl at stat.uni-muenchen.de fabian.scheipl at stat.uni-muenchen.de
Fri Nov 21 17:00:03 CET 2008

Full_Name: Fabian Scheipl
Version: 2.8.0
OS: Windows, Linux
Submission from: (NULL) (138.246.7.150)

It seems to me that the documentation for body<- is wrong.
The help file for

body(fun, envir = environment(fun)) <- value

says that:

value can be an expression or a list of R expressions.

This produces errors however:

################################

> f <- function(x){}
> body(f) <- list(expression(res <- x^2),expression(return(x)))
Fehler in as.function.default(c(formals(fun), value), envir) :
  ungültiges formales Argument für "function"

The only way to assign multiple statements to a function body
that I could get to work is to put all the statements into a single expression,
(separated by ';' and in curly brackets):

body(f) <- expression({res <- x^2; return(x)})