[Rd] problem in downloading the rimage package

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Nov 15 03:18:33 CET 2008

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008, Shantanu D wrote:

> I am using a 64 bit machine with CentOS5. I am getting the following errors
> when I try to install the rimage package
>
> g++ -shared -L/usr/local/lib64 -o rimage.so equalize.o fftw_access_func.o
> freqfilters.o interface.o jpegio.o laplacian.o matrix.o smooth.o sobel.o
> -ljpeg -lfftw
> /usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libfftw.a(fftwnd.o): relocation R_X86_64_32
> against `a local symbol' can not be used when making a shared object;
> recompile with -fPIC
> /usr/local/lib/libfftw.a: could not read symbols: Bad value

/usr/local/lib/libfftw.a: is where a 32-bit static library is placed.
This looks like a 64-bit system, in which case you need a dynamic library,
/usr/local/lib64/libfftw.so.

This is nothing to do with your subject line (what did 'downloading' have
to do with this?), but reflects a problem with a local software install on
your machine.  Only you can explain how fftw2 got installed as it did.