[Rd] RFC: Offline help

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 11 14:23:55 CET 2008

I had not used offline help for many years, and when I tried to yesterday
I found a number of issues (the most important of which is that I couldn't
have R_DVIPSCMD="dvips -Pbdr" to send output to my office printer: the
lack of error reporting is also problematic, and hid the fact that I don't
have a default printer set for lpr, so unadorned 'dvips' does not work).

I've patched up the issues I found, but wondered if anyone was indeed
making frequent use of offline help?  Two other things I am aware of is
that there is no documentation on how to use it with MiKTeX on Windows
(although it is possible), and that on Unix-alikes it is basically tied to
Postscript printing (and PDF printing would be preferred in a number of
setups).

If it is meeting a need we should keep it, but it seems to me that it
should either be phased out (two less things to maintain, as there are two
versions) or rewritten to be much more flexible (perhaps most simply by
allowing a user-supplied R function to handle processing the .tex file,
with utils::texi2dvi being a good start).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk