[Rd] Two minor escaping issues using \preformatted{....} in Rd format

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Fri Nov 7 02:32:18 CET 2008

On 06/11/2008 1:26 PM, Peter Ruckdeschel wrote:
> Hi r-devels,
>
> I have two minor problems with special characters in Rd files when
> used within a  \preformatted{} markup command:

> 1. issue: backslash + single brace
>
> I would like to write "\\\}" to produce \} on output (documenting
> the need to escape the brace once again before TeX-ing it);
> this fails if there is no space between the second and third
> backslash, but works if there is a space, but this produces
> \ } then....

We have started some work on overhauling Rd processing.  Your comments
on the early work would be welcome.  These might appear in 2.9.0, or
maybe later, or maybe not at all.  You can read about them on
developer.r-project.org.

In this case, what you want to write would be supported.  Mark's
workaround would no longer work, because \link{} wouldn't be recognized
within \preformatted.

> 2. issue: backslash + percent sign
>
> I would like to write "\\\\\%" to give a string argument \\% on
> output; this is needed for documenting how to register special
> operators to TeX package 'listings'.
> Again this fails, while "\\\\ \%" works.
>
> In neither case 1 or 2 the standard TeX trick to produce a
> linebreak in the source without producing a space on output
> helps, i.e.
>
> \\%
> \}
>
> resp.
> \\\\%
> \%
>
> both produce valid code [the resp. first % is read as a comment
> sign] but also insert a non-intended space in the output.

Those would probably still insert spaces under the proposed changes.

Duncan Murdoch