[Rd] cat: ./R/Copy: No such file or directory

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sun Nov 2 03:19:30 CET 2008

Dear Duncan:

<in line>

Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 01/11/2008 8:53 PM, Spencer Graves wrote:
>> Dear Ted:
>>       Thanks very much.  In fact, I did have a file named "Copy of
>> create.fourier.basis.R".  I deleted it and got an even more cryptic
>> version of the same error message.  I ultimately traced this to lines
>> like "<<<<<<< .working" inserted by subversion into a *.R or *.Rd
>> file I was using.  I found this by finding a previous "*.tar.gz" file
>> that passed "R CMD check", studying the subversion log of 7 different
>> changes made by 3 people since that one that worked, and reviewing
>> changes made to at least 13 different files in that period until I
>> found the problem.
>
> Hi Spencer.
>
> If you're using Windows, I really recommend using TortoiseSVN.  It'll
> make it very easy to see conflict markers like the one that caused
> your trouble.  (I don't like their compare utility, but it's easy to
> plug in a different one. I use Beyond Compare.)
      I've been using TortoiseSVN for roughly 18 months now, but I had
previously not used much of its capabilities.  The log and diff files
helped narrow the problem from someplace in 400 files to someplace in 13.

      It would be nice if the "R CMD check" diagnostics were more clear
about things like this.  However, even with these problems, it is vastly
superior to the anarchy that organizes the software development efforts
of many people I know.  I have friends and colleagues developing
software in other languages with NOTHING like this, asking me to check
their work.  I'm refining lectures on the virtues of "R CMD check" and
pushing others adopt something similar for perl scripts, Matlab code,
etc.  I'm eager to help develop such systems, and I resist efforts to
have me repeat tests I developed months ago and should be automated.

      Thanks for your reply -- and for your very valuable work in
helping to develop the current "R CMD check" system.

      Best Wishes,
      Spencer